A 10-year-old girl and her 2-year-old brother have died in the Saudi city of Jeddah after apparently being poisoned by a neigbour’s use of an anti-cockroach insecticide. The mother of two children remains seriously ill, while the father – who works for the Danish Arla dairy company – is in a stable condition.
According to reports in local media, neighbours to the family of four had used a particularly strong insecticide to kill cockroaches. The insecticide is banned for in-house use in Saudi Arabia.
While the neighbours went on holiday, the insecticide is said to have spread to the neighbouring house. When the family of four woke on Sunday morning, both children were ill and taken to hospital where they died.